Monday, October 3, 2011

Eggplants

Eggplant Timeline -Early May: While shopping at the greenhouse for our vegetable garden, Ryan decides that he would love to buy an eggplant seedling.
Late May: Rabbits have eaten the first eggplant seedling, so we go back to the greenhouse to try again.
June: Eggplant seedling again gets eaten but we see that there is a tiny remnant left in the ground and just hope for the best.
Entire summer: Ryan devoutly waters his eggplant and prays for the intercession of St. Isidore (patron of farmers) to watch over his plant.
Late summer/early fall: We wait. And wait some more. And get excited with each inch it grows.
September: Buds and tiny eggplants!
October: see below



Requesting that I make eggplant parmesan for dinner.

"I don't know big bro. You think this is really going to be tasty?"


























follow up: The eggplant parmesan got thumbs up from both boys. They each had two helpings. (No one is surprised at this, right?)
Ryan said with much satisfaction, "I waited all summer for this meal. I want to have it for every dinner."

1 comment:

Kari said...

Oh My Goodness! I love this post! :)