Monday, February 4, 2008

Most Frightening Moment of Our Lives...

After being asleep for 2 hours on Friday night, Ryan made a horrible gagging noise. The noise alone was enough to scare us both but then seeing our little Ryan's face made our hearts collectively stop. He was turning bright red. His eyes were entirely unresponsive as Anthony worked to dislodge the mucus. Thank God we live 1 minute from the hospital. God blessed Anthony with the knowledge to grab a bulb syringe so that I could continue to free up Ryan's breathing passage on the furious ride to the hospital, all the while he was turning nearly purple. For moments in time, as I was screaming in panic, I really thought we had lost our Ryan. My heart was completely outside of me and it was just the most helpless feeling ever. Praying Hail Marys aloud with Anthony all the way to the hospital and using the bulb syringe I began to notice breathing again. As Anthony pulled the car up to the ER, I ran (barefoot) through the snowy entrance with Ryan in my arms. The first nurse to see me grabbed Ryan and yelled, "Unresponsive baby!" Those are never the words a mom wants to hear. I remember pushing the nurse as she ran toward the nearest room.
Praise God Ryan is okay. He spent the weekend in the hospital where they ran various tests. He is now hooked up to a machine that monitors his breathing and heart rate. He will be on this machine for the next month (24/7). We are presently deciding about a medication for Ryan and his apparent breathing abnormalities.
Thanks for your prayers. On a side note, we were so happy that this weekend was St. Blaise's feast. If you are unfamiliar this saint is known for helping those with diseases of the throat. Ryan had his throat blessing, and we hope that means no more scares!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I can hardly type, I am shaking and crying.... We can only thank the lord and St Blaise for helping dear Ryan. I can not imagine what you all went through, only your relief when you knew he was okay. Kenzee has only choked like that one time, eating a pretzel at Dad's house. I know I panicked, Chad and Dad sprang into action very quickly though. I hope they find a cause and a solution for baby Ryan. Love, Kelly

mckenna said...

We are so sorry to hear about what happened. I can't imagine how you guys pulled through. Molly has been up for the better part of two nights on pins and needles listening to our little caitlin, who has been having trouble breathing. Thank god, (and St. Blaise) for helping you through. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Michael, Molly, and Caitlin

MoranClan said...

Once again, just wanted to send you a note to let you know I could not be more proud of you! All three of you are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

grandma Janet said...

Beth & Anthony
You two acted so amazingly well in this nightmare situation. Those Hail Mary's will do it everytime!!
I am praying for a quick answer to the situation and hopefully he will soon outgrow it. I put many of those monitors on baby's while working at OSF--listening to the frightful situations similar to yours from the parents!! He is adorable and I can not wait to give him lots of hugs! Please keep in touch. KELLY & MICHAEL I DO NOT HAVE YOUR E ADDRESSES. PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU janetmckenna1@cox.net Love you all Grandma Janet

Kevin said...

Beth,

I was shocked when mom told me about this, but I am so glad that little Ryan was able to pull through. What a tough little guy he must be. I will check here often to see what the new developments are. You are in our prayers, and I hope that there is a safe remedy for his breathing problems.


Love Kevin and Verity